Saturday, July 16, 2016

Next Big Steps (Part 1): The "Teach Class"

This week I had two big steps on my IVF journey: a "teach" class and my IVF consultation with my RE. To avoid too long a post, I will break this post up into two posts, one dedicated to the teach class, and the other to the consultation.

The Teach Class
The "teach" class is a class required by anyone undergoing IVF at my fertility clinic.  The first hour of the teach class essentially explains what IVF is and the process.  I was already familiar with the process from what I learned in school over the years as well as extensive "Googling."  However, I'm sure it was helpful for those who had little familiarity with the subject and it never hurts to have yet another reminder and have everything fleshed out all together.

The second half of the class deals with learning about the meds/injectables that will be used for the IVF cycle and practicing mixing the meds and performing injections (on prosthetics).  This was helpful as I am definitely a tactile learner and while I would probably be able to figure it out and do it on my own, the whole IVF process, especially the injectable medications, is overwhelming.  I  was set up with the meds that will be in my protocol and others received the meds for theirs.  I also got to learn a bit about other people's protocols and possible meds that may be added to my protocol.

It was definitely worthwhile and worth the experience.  I don't know if all fertility clinics have a similar teach class, but they should.  I am a big Real Housewives fan (as you may know from some of my other blogs) and have been watching OC Housewife, Meghan King Edmonds, on her IVF journey this season.  I also checked out her IVF Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/meghansivfjourney/ One thing I've learned from her journey is her RE/clinic has a different process for injections than mine.  At my teach class, I learned how to mix my injections (Menapur and Gonal F and later Garilinex) so that I am only taking one injection a day. Meghan was taking up to 3 shots a day! Every process is different, but I appreciate that my clinic wants to cut down on the number of shots, then again the Gonal F pre-loaded pen is pretty cool I kinda just want to be able to use that! But why have more injections than I need to!

No comments:

Post a Comment